$28 POWDER BATH MAKEOVER

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

I recently updated our little powder bath downstairs, and I was determined to do it using things I already owned. When that wasn't possible I spent as little money as I could. The powder bath was okay, but it was definitely stuck in the early 90's with BRASS hardware and tan walls that had a pinky-lavendery tint to them. I honestly couldn't stand the room, and I knew it wouldn't take much to bring it into the 21st Century.


Here are a couple before photos (sorry, I sometimes get so eager to start a project that I don't take before photos until I've already started the makeover...I promise I'll find some restraint in the future).


See..pinky-lavendery walls

Brass light fixture (the pink grocery bags are taped up so I can spray paint the light fixture without removing it from the wall...lazy yes...did it work? yes)

So I first came up with a game plan. I love using FD Flickr Toys Mosaic Maker . I'm so visual I have to see how all the elements are going to work together before I can jump into the project...."Oh yeah?" you say?. "You have time for that but not quality before photos?" Sorry...I PROMISE I'll be better in the future.

Here was my mosaic for this room. It included a dark framed mirror, light green walls, a topiary, Amy Ruppel bird prints I already owned (P.S. I LOVE her work and you can find prints like these on art.com or ebay...I think I bought 8 prints for $20 on ebay and then found inexpensive frames at Hobby Lobby and mounted them on cut burlap), oil rubbed bronze hardware, and a birdcage or lantern of some sort.



And the after photos:






Using what I already had I hung a small oval mirror over the existing mirror (cost: FREE...well I spent $2 for ribbon), I used a topiary I already owned (cost: FREE), again...Amy Ruppel prints I already owned (cost: FREE). I also used paint I had left over from an old project (Sherwin Williams Svelte Sage). Had I purchased paint it would have brought the grand total to around $50, still not bad in my opinion.


I did spend $12 for new glass light shades, $6 for a can of oil rubbed bronze spray paint that I used on the brass light fixture, towel ring, tp holder and cabinet hardware, and $8 for a sisal rug as Ross.


$28 for making a room feel like part of our home...priceless :).



7 Suburbanites Said:

Wendy said...

I'm loving your new bathroom.
Using things you already own make it even better.
Great Job!

Wendy

Lorie said...

What a great job! I love the mirror!

AnNicole@Our Suburban Cottage said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
AnNicole@Our Suburban Cottage said...

Thanks!

Unknown said...

Just discovered your blog and like your style! The bathroom re-do is really nice. Happy New Year from Houston, Texas!

Anonymous said...

Hi - what is the exact name of the spray paint you used? thanks!! sherry

Samantha2818 said...

What a great makeover. Your bathroom looks amazing now. I hope that while you were sitting on the loo to take the photos that you weren't multi-tasking!;)
~Sam